2.9.15

Strawberries and cream #607


Daily painting #607 5"x7" oil on primed canvas panel 

On the weekend it was my Mum's birthday and I made a delicious strawberries and cream cake to celebrate. I used store bought strawberries to decorate the cake and came across this strawberry with an unusually long stem, not often found in a container of store bought fruit. I put it aside to paint...of course....as one would do! I had to rescue it a couple of times from the thieving fingers of children who believe strawberries are to eat rather than paint! As fast as the strawberries were going onto the cake, they were also disappearing into the mouths of my children (definitely not me) so thank goodness I bought way more than I thought I would need!

The cake was made with a simple Victoria sponge recipe from Mary Berry's 'Baking Bible'. I then layered it with fresh whipped cream and strawberries....yum! I placed a very thin layer of strawberry jam (preserve) to seal the cake so that the cream and strawberries did not make the cake soggy.

Victoria Sponge cake

  • 225g softened butter
  • 225g caster sugar
  • 225g self-raising flour
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 level tsp baking powder
Pre-heat oven to 180C/Fan 160C. Grease 2 sandwich tins and line base with baking parchment.
Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat until thoroughly blended. Divide equally between the 2 tins and level mixture out.
Bake for about 25 minutes then cool in the tins for a few minutes on a wire rack then turn out, remove baking parchment and cool completely before layering with strawberries and cream.


I use this simple sponge cake for a variety of different things so thought I would share it with you....and you can get creative! I would love to hear your ideas for glamming up the simple sponge cake!

Purchase paintings at Heidi Shedlock Fine Art
(Click on the highlighted writing to view gallery of available daily paintings and for all purchase details)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...